Broccoli, Spinach & potato soup It cetainly feels like spring has sprung, everyone seems to be getting fit, going to the gym and eating healthier. This is a great soup using spring greens and also a great starter for St. Patricks day tomorrow!
- Olive oil spray
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1L (4 cups) salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 400g potatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 450g broccoli, cut into florets
- 75g baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 90g (1/3 cup) light sour cream
- 1 tablespoon bought basil pesto
- Fresh basil sprigs, to serve
- Crusty bread slices, to serve
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Spray with oil. Add onion and stir for 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add stock and potato. Bring to boil. Cover. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add broccoli and simmer for 6-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add spinach. Simmer for 1 minute or until just wilted. Set aside to cool.
- Step 2 Add basil leaves. Blend one-third of mixture in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a clean saucepan. Repeat twice with remaining mixture. Cook soup over medium heat for 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Step 3 Combine sour cream and pesto in a bowl. Divide soup among bowls. Top with pesto cream and basil sprigs. Serve with bread.
It is such a gorgeous day, the sun is shining and whilst I made lunch Florence played happily with her dolls in the garden. I called her in when I had dished up and gave her a small bowl of soup with some lovely brown bread. Florence loved it so much she had seconds, it's a great way to get lots of healthy vegetables into a toddler. Especially when there is 'dip dip' involved. Hope you are all enjoying this beautiful weather as much as we are!